Graduate Record Examinations
ETS (Educational Testing Service)
Who Takes It and Why?
To pursue PG Degree /Masters Degree in any specialisation apart from MBA in USA. There are some universities which accepts GRE for MBA as well. Also ISB, Hyderabad started accepting GRE for their flagship program.
The score is valid for 5 years.
The score is sent to 4 universities free of cost at the time of GRE exam. ETS charges fees (US $ 27 / recipient) for scores sent to universities later. If the students do not select the score recipient at the time of exam, they must pay US$27 per recipient to have scores sent later.
GRE test is a Computer-delivered Test in India
By Web or Phone or Mail.
|Prometric Testing Private Limited
2nd Floor, DLF Infinity Tower – A, Sector 25, Phase II,
No paper forms available. Registration to be done online using ‘My GRE Account’ on ETS website.
Requirements For Web/Phone and Mail Registration or Requirements For Registration:
There are four ways you can register for the computer-based General Test.
- Online Registration can be done only via International Credit card. International Credit cards that can be used are American Express, Discover, JCB, MasterCard or VISA card. Debit card cannot be used for online registration in India.
- One can register over the phone by using an American Express, Discover, JCB, MasterCard or a VISA International Credit card.
- Post that, students need to call the appropriate RRC at least two business days before preferred date [Regional Registration Center]. A confirmation number, reporting time, and the test center address will be given to you when you call.
- Mail the International Test Scheduling Form (PDF) to the appropriate RRC with appropriate payment, (at least 3 weeks prior to intended date).
- ETS now accepts payments via the Western Union Quick Pay service for computer-based testing administrations. Only original receipts will be accepted by Prometric.
Ahmadabad, Allahabad, Kolkata, Chennai, Gurgaon, Hyderabad, Mumbai, Trivandrum, Bengaluru & CLICK HERE for other cities.
- A registration number is given as terms of confirmation
- A confirmation number, reporting time, and the test center address will be given to you when you call
- A confirmation number, reporting time and the test center address will be mailed to you.
(A) General GRE
Rescheduling or Cancelling a Test Appointment:
- Contact the appropriate registration center no later than 3 full days before your test date (not including the day of your test or the day of your request)
- The General Test rescheduling fee is $50
- You cannot reschedule between sites served by different Regional Registration Centers (RRCs)
The Verbal Reasoning and Quantitative Reasoning sections are section-level adaptive, meaning that the first section of the Verbal Reasoning and Quantitative Reasoning measures span a range of difficulty levels, from easy to difficult. The second section of each of the measures is administered based on a test taker’s overall performance on the first section.
Number of tests:
Only 1 test can be given in a calendar month. A total of 5 tests can be given in a year.
|Verbal Reasoning||130 – 170, in 1 point increments|
|Quantitative Reasoning||130 – 170, in 1 point increments|
|Analytical Writing||0 – 6, in half point increments|
Structure of the Computer-delivered Test
Number of Questions
(One section with two separately timed tasks)
|One “Analyze an Issue” task and one “Analyze an Argument” task||30 minutes per task|
|20 questions per section||30 minutes per section|
|20 questions per section||35 minutes per section|
(B) SUBJECT GRE
Subject test is a Paper based test
Number of tests:
The test can be given as often as they are offered.
The test is held three times a year, in:
Biochemistry, Cell & Molecular Biology, Biology, Psychology, English Literature, Chemistry, Physics, Mathematics.
Benefits of a High GRE Score:
- A high score will increase the chances of admission in top ranked Universities.
- Chances of getting Scholarships / Financial Aid are bright with a high GRE score.
- Visa Officers also give weightage to high GRE scores while considering Visa applications.