Living in United Kingdom

You will find this section a useful guide to living in the United Kingdom such the UK Accommodation, Travel, Health etc.

UK towns and cities have long experience of providing homes for students and there are many affordable, comfortable and safe places to live.

Finding Accommodation

You should always try to arrange your long-term accommodation before you leave home. Your institution should be able to help you with this. Colleges have student advisers who can advise you on how to find accommodation and universities have accommodation officers.

When you accept a study place, you should receive a package of information, which will include accommodation information. Complete the accommodation application form and return it by the date stated. Even if residential accommodation is not available, there will be an accommodation advisory office which can help you find private accommodation.

If you are coming to the UK for the first time, accommodation provided by your school, college or university might be the most suitable choice. This is an option taken up by more than half of the international students on degree courses in the UK and around 30 % of those who come to FE colleges.

There are advantages to living in accommodation provided by your institution:

You usually live close to where you are studying

You get to know other students easily

You are likely to spend less time traveling, so you have time to get to know the local area

You will be living in a safe and secure environment.

College and university accommodation is also affordable: a room in a self-catering hall of residence or student apartment costs from £180 to £360 per month. The term self-catering means that you will have access to a shared kitchen where you can prepare your own meals. Some universities and colleges also offer accommodation where meals are provided and the cost of your breakfast and evening meal is included in the rent you pay. Where meals are included you can expect to pay from £320 to £400 per month. In the traditional student residence, bathroom facilities are shared but an increasing number of universities and colleges now offer residences with rooms where you have your own private bathroom. You would pay slightly more for this option.

If you choose to rent accommodation in the private sector, the options are private hostels, lodgings, bed-sits or shared flats/houses. A lodging is where you rent a room in a private house. Your landlord/landlady would live in the same house, possibly with their family, and would prepare your meals for you. For hostel accommodation and lodgings where meals are included, you can expect to pay £300 to £400 per month. For a bed-sit or a room in a house or flat shared with other students, you would pay from £200 to £380 per month

Telephone Services

Public telephones in the UK can be coin operated or card operated. To use a card-operated phone, you need either a credit card or a special, pre-paid phonecard. Phonecards come in values of £2, £5, £10 and £20 and you can buy them from newsagents, post offices and supermarkets.

Before you dial, pick up the receiver and listen for dialing tone. After you dial, if the number you want is available, you will hear a repeated double ring. If it is busy, you will hear the engaged tone – a repeated single note. If a number is unavailable, you will hear a steady tone. When your money or card is about to run out, you will hear a series of rapid beeps.

Low Cost Calling

Calling from a private phone is significantly cheaper than calling from a public phone. Inland calls (calls within the UK) are cheapest between 06.00 p.m. and 08.00 a.m. International calls are cheapest between 08.00 p.m. and 08.00 a m. There are also reduced rates on weekends.

A number of different companies now offer pre-paid or account-based phone cards, many of which are aimed at people who need to make international calls. Compare cards carefully as rates differ. In some cases, making your international calls using one of these cards could work out cheaper than using the main phone service provider.

Mobile Phones

Mobile phones are widely used in the UK and can be particularly convenient for students. Before you buy one, check all details of the competing packages carefully, including both the monthly charge and the charges for calls. A mobile phone that is cheap to buy could turn out to be expensive to use if it is not the right package for you.


Mobile phones are widely used in the UK and can be particularly convenient for students. Before you buy one, check all details of the competing packages carefully, including both the monthly charge and the charges for calls. A mobile phone that is cheap to buy could turn out to be expensive to use if it is not the right package for you.

if you have your own computer, you can sign up directly with one of the UK’s internet service providers. Several now offer free access; all you pay is the phone company’s charges for your connection time

sign up with one of the many web-based email services (Hotmail, Yahoo, etc.) and then check your email using online computer terminals at your institution, a public library or a friend’s home. This option should cost you absolutely nothing.

Postal Services

Post Offices are usually open from 09.00 a.m. to 05.30 p.m. Monday to Friday, and from 09.00 a.m. to 12.30 p.m. on Saturday. You can also buy stamps at newsagents, supermarkets and some other shops.

Supermarkets are usually open on Monday to Saturday from 08.00 or 09.00 a.m. to 06.00 or 08.00 p.m. In larger cities, you will find more and more supermarkets open twenty-four hours a day. Many are also open on Sundays from around 10.00 a.m. to 05.00 or 06.00 p.m. Smaller food shops are often closed on Sundays and may close earlier or later on other days. (See also the ‘Food’ section.)

If you come from a country with a very different climate, you may also need to buy some clothing when you get here. Clothing shops, shoe shops and department stores are usually open on Monday to Saturday from 09.00 a.m. to 05.30 or 06.00 p.m. Department stores sell clothing plus such household goods as bed-linen, towels, clocks and/or kitchen utensils.

Your college or university will have its own library, but the local public library can be a useful resource as well. You can read and study there, borrow books and other items, get access to the Internet using public computer terminals, and find information on local history, services and social events.

Contemporary UK cooking offers a mouth-watering variety of foods, drawing on e menu of international styles and culinary traditions. British cuisine has changed drastically the past few decades. Chinese, Indian, Italian and French cuisine is now as popular in the UK as the typical culinary traditions of England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. Indian, Pakistani and Bangladeshi restaurants have been joined by Lebanese, Persian, Indonesian, Spanish, Mexican, and Thai restaurants in most cities.

As the UK has welcomed people from all over the world, it has also imported their culinary styles, foods, sauces and recipes. Where once you might have or thought fish and chips, you can now choose, tortillas, curries. Supermarkets offer vegetables, fruit, spices and other ingredients from all over the world, and numerous smaller shops specialise in international foods.

There is a growing interest in food and its preparation.

Even traditional British food is much more varied than you might realise and different parts of the UK have their own specialties. In England, for example, you will find black pudding and Yorkshire pudding (a thick, savoury pudding made out of batter, usually served with beef). Scotland is famous for such distinctive foods as, shortbread and oatcakes. In Wales, you can find laver bread (a seaweed pancake), Northern Ireland offers (potato and spring onions). And of course, just across the English Channel – a short journey by ship, plane or train – you can also sample the delights of European cuisine.

Eating Out

Eating Out in the UK is truly an international experience – you can find restaurants serving almost any kind of food you would like to try, especially in cities and larger towns. Most restaurants display their menu outside so that you can check what they have to offer before you go in.

You will find this section a useful guide to living in the United Kingdom such the UK Accommodation, Travel, Health etc.

As an international student, you, your spouse and any children who accompany you to the UK as your dependents, may be entitled to free or subsidized treatment under the UK’s National Health Service (NHS). If you are studying on a full-time course in Scotland, you will receive this benefit regardless of the length of your course. Elsewhere in the UK, you will receive this benefit if your course lasts more than six months

Registering with a Doctor

To receive any kind of treatment through the NHS, you must be registered with a doctor or General Practitioner (GP). GP’s are doctors who are trained and experienced in diagnosing a wide range of health problems. If your school, college or university has a health centre, you may be able to register with a doctor there or they may be able to recommend a local doctor or GP.

Public telephones in the UK can be coin operated or card operated. To use a card-operated phone, you need either a credit card or a special, pre-paid phonecard. Phonecards come in values of £2, £5, £10 and £20 and you can buy them from newsagents, post offices and supermarkets.

Arriving in a different country can be a scary experience at first. Do not be surprised if, after the excitement of arriving, you later find the UK strange or you miss home. You will not be alone – others will be feeling the same way. Don’t worry, these feelings will quickly pass and you will soon get caught up in the heady bustle of student life.

Essential Documents

Public telephones in the UK can be coin operated or card operated. To use a card-operated phone, you need either a credit card or a special, pre-paid phonecard. Phonecards come in values of £2, £5, £10 and £20 and you can buy them from newsagents, post offices and supermarkets.

your valid passport with visa or entry clearance, if relevant your travel tickets

money – cash, travellers – cheques, and credit card. All ideally kept in a money belt or a very secure inside pocket

health documents, if required

a letter of acceptance from your institution

documentary proof that you have enough money to pay your fees and meet your living costs

originals (or certified true copies) of any degree certificates or technical qualifications you have

When booking your travel to the UK, make sure you know what time it will be in the UK when you get here. If possible, arrange to arrive on a weekday, rather than at the weekend or on a public holiday. Try to arrive in the morning; this will give you time to reach your final destination and settle in during working hours when transportation links are most frequent and all services and facilities (such as banks and shops) are open.

Many students make their arrangements for travelling to their college or university when they make their flight arrangements with a travel agent. In this case, when you reach the UK you can continue on your journey by following the instructions you have already been given. Similarly, if the British Council arranges your visit, your local Council office will advise you about your onward journey.

You may well find that your chosen college or university operates a ‘meet and greet’ service, where a representative will collect you from the airport and take you to the institution or your accommodation.

Public telephones in the UK can be coin operated or card operated. To use a card-operated phone, you need either a credit card or a special, pre-paid phonecard. Phonecards come in values of £2, £5, £10 and £20 and you can buy them from newsagents, post offices and supermarkets.

GEEBEE EDUCATION runs pre-departure briefing programmes for its students.

Studying in the UK is not only a wonderful opportunity to benefit from a world-class education but also a chance to experience the country’s vibrant culture.

Although the UK is relatively small in size, it offers a wealth of attractions. Look beyond London and you will find a nation as diverse as it is accessible and affordable.

UK cities and towns have a rich and varied historical and cultural heritage. For seaside fun, you could head to the palm-fringed English Riviera, or west to the surfing culture of Wales. Great civic centres, such as Newcastle, Manchester, Liverpool and Leeds offer some of the best nightclub scenes in Europe. Further north, Edinburgh welcomes, with its blend of old-world architecture and up-to-the-minute arts, while Glasgow is one of the coolest cities in the country.

And because of the UK’s excellent transport links, you can visit all these places easily and cheaply.


Sport is popular in the UK. Football, cricket and rugby are the national games but UK colleges and universities will have a range of sports teams and clubs. If you prefer to go along and watch, look out for cricket (at cricket grounds and village greens from May to September), international athletics events, golf tournaments, the Wimbledon tennis championships, the London Marathon, horse-racing and the Oxford and Cambridge boat race.


There are many places in the UK you will not want to miss, such as the sights of cities like London, Edinburgh, Oxford, Cambridge, and York.

Outdoor Adventure

The UK boasts a wide variety of landscapes and an equally wide choice of outdoor fun. Miles of rivers and sandy coastlines are ideal for rowing, sailing, white water rafting, canoeing and fishing. Tennis courts and swimming pools can be found in almost all towns. And thousands of acres of countryside, many of them in national parks, offer ideal terrain for walking, cycling and horse riding. For the more adventurous, mountaineering, and bungee jumping are among the breathtaking possibilities.

The UK is truly a hub of the global community with many air, sea, road and rail links connecting it to every country in the world. Flights from all the major cities in the world arrive at one or more UK airports every day. A local airport serves most major UK cities so its easy to make connections to destinations anywhere in the country.

Thanks to the Channel Tunnel, Paris and Brussels can be reached by train. And all the major towns and cities in the UK are linked by a wide-ranging system of motorways, allowing easy travel by car, motorbike or coach to all parts of the country.

Air Travel

The major airport near London: is Heathrow.

Links to continental European cities are particularly good. Flights from the UK to Paris, Amsterdam, Brussels, Frankfurt, Madrid, Rome and many other European destinations are numerous and frequent.

Many budget fares are available on these routes and a number of UK travel agencies specialize in budget travel for students. In addition to the large, internationally familiar airlines, services are also offered by smaller airlines that specialize in short flights within Europe, and these sometimes offer the lowest fares.

You can often find lower fares if you are willing to travel from one of the smaller UK airports.

Rail & Coach Travel

Cities in the UK are connected by a fast and efficient railway network and by frequent coach services. Various travel passes are available, providing unlimited travel over specified periods and distances. This approach can make it easy to get around and see everything you want to. For details, contact a travel agent, a major rail station.

Many UK travel organisations offer special discounted fares for students. If you buy a Young Person’s Railcard or a Student Coach Card, for example, you will get reduced fares on most journeys. For details, ask at your Students – Union office or any main railway or coach station, or try one of the specialist student travel agencies, which can be found near many campuses.

Road Travel

An extensive motorway network links all major towns and cities. If you want to drive a car or motorcycle in the UK, you must have a valid licence and you must be at least 17 years old (16 years old to drive a moped). For further details about the licensing requirements, contact the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA).

Be aware that distances in the UK are given in miles. To convert to kilometers, divide by five and then multiply by eight. For example, 50 miles is approximately 80 kilometers.


The UK is the perfect starting point for visiting the rest of Europe. From here, it is relatively easy and inexpensive to get to other European countries, whether by plane, by ferry or by train through the Channel Tunnel, and city-to-city journeys are generally quick.

There are many discount airfares for students and your Students Union should be able to tell you about other special student fares. For example, one popular way of travelling around Europe is with an InterRail card, which entitles you to one months travel in 28 countries for a fixed price. Ask a travel agent for details of inexpensive package tours.

The UK is a law-abiding, well-governed, stable and orderly society – a safe and welcoming place for your family. The UK is home to people from many ethnic, religious and national origins, and the different groups live in harmony. It is also a safe place to live: it is very rare for international students to suffer serious misfortune.

Once you and your family arrive, you will find many services that contribute to the high standard of living in the UK. If you are eligible for free treatment from the UK’s National Health Service during your stay, then your family will be as well.

Studying Cost In UK

Studying in the UK is great value for money. Degree courses are generally shorter than in the USA and Australia, making them more affordable. Before you embark on your studies you need to have a clear idea of the total cost of course fees and living expenses. Our guide will help to get you started.

Your costs while living in the UK will depend on the type of course you follow. If you are studying a career-based, degree or postgraduate course, you will need to budget for accommodation and meals in addition to the course fees.

Regardless of their country of origin, international students on full-time UK courses that last more than six months enjoy all the benefits of the country’s National Health Service. This means free consultation with doctors and free hospital care for you and your family. See below for more details:

Course Fees (Pound Sterling)

Undergraduate range –

£15,755 – £23,190*

Post Graduate Range –

12,000GBP – 18,000GBP

Living Expenses (Pound Sterling)

Home stay £60 – £100 per week
Dormitory (single w/o meal) £100 – £130 per week
Dormitory (shared w/o meal) £70 – £100 per week
Dormitory (shared with meals) £100 – £120 per week
Apartment (without meal) £120 – £200 per week

Total Living Expenses (excluding course fees)

Flat-Share Rental per month £350 – £450 (single), £550 – £720 (double)

£350 – £430 (single), £450 – £690 (double)

£450 – £600 (single), £450 – £800 (double)

£350 -£500 (single), £500 – £700 (double)

One bed room flat rental per month:

£900 – £1000

£850 – £960

£720 – £840

£750 – £900

2. Living Costs in the UK

Accommodation (halls of residence, usually including bills) £400 – £600 per month
Private Accommodation (bills not included) £320 – £530 per month
Bills (electric/gas/water) £40 – £50 per month
Food / Housekeeping £160 – £200 per month
TV Licence (mandatory with TV or watching BBC online) £12 per month
(or £145.50 per year)
Mobile phone £15 – £50 per month
Clothes / Shoes £25 per month
Leisure / Sport £10 per month
Books / Stationery £21 per month
Socialising / Going out £120 per month
Travel / Transport 

(Based on the monthly cost of a student bus pass)

£34 per month
Childcare (if needed) £656 per month

UK Degrees can take only 3 years and Postgraduate Master’s courses only 1 year compared with 4 years and 2 years in most other countries. This means you will save a great deal on both tuition fees and living costs. UK degree courses are shorter because they are more intensive, and therefore more efficient in terms of your time and money. Health care is often free for international students. You are likely to be able to take advantage of National Health Service (NHS) treatment, as well as reduced-cost medicines, dental treatment and eye tests.

Thousands of scholarships are offered by UK institutions just for international students, while more than 21, 000 international students receive scholarship funding from the UK Government every year. Under existing work regulations, international students in the UK can work up to 20 hours a week when studying and full time during vacations.

It is important you have a clear idea of the overall cost of studying in the UK, not just tuition fees but all the everyday expenses you will incurr. Prices for accommodation and daily shopping vary between different regions of the UK. The figures are intended as a guide only. You should remember that London will be more expensive. Costs in other major UK cities may also be above average.

Special reductions are offered for students at many shops, theatres, cinemas, museums and galleries; and special student fares are available on buses and trains. Many discounts are negotiated by the National Union of Students (NUS), an organisation that represents the interests of all students in the UK. Recent discounts listed on the NUS website included 10 per cent off purchases of selected items at HMV (a music and video retailer) and at Topshop/Topman (a chain of clothing shops). Ask at your Students’ Union for details of the latest student discounts.


The UK Universities have good scholarships. The total worth of these scholarships is over 1 million pounds. With 198 scholarships on offer, it is a great opportunity for Indian students wishing to make the most of their UK education.Students may avail these scholarships for 29 undergraduate and 169 postgraduate courses. These include Engineering, Law, Business, Art & Design, Bio-sciences, IT and more; at 40 UK institutions across England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.

Ranges from 1000GBP to 3000 GBP

Great India Scholarship – 5000 GBP

About United Kingdom

You will find this section a useful guide about United Kingdom. It explains everything from the basics such as United Kingdom Environment, Culture etc.

In an increasingly globalised world economy, people need special skills and qualities to succeed. Employers want employees who can think effectively, creatively and independently. This is an essential part of the UK learning experience. Institutions use a variety of teaching and assessment methods to encourage independence, as well as mastery of the subject.

UK scientists and institutions have won almost 100 Nobel Prizes for their scientific achievements. The UK’s creative brains ‘artists, fashion designers, film and T.V stars, and leisure software designers’ are regarded as among the best in the world.

At degree and postgraduate level in particular, students are encouraged to read widely, to question and analyse what they have read, and to discuss openly their own ideas in seminars and tutorials. Career-based courses are designed to equip you for specific roles in the modern world of work.

English language skills will be important for your future career prospects. English is acknowledged as the language of business, science, IT and the internet around the world. Learning English in the UK allows you to immerse yourself in the language, to live and think in English.

The UK is a cosmopolitan place to live. Many thousands of families from around the world have made the UK their home, creating a richly diverse, open-minded, multicultural society. There are also more than a quarter of a million international students in the UK at a given time.

You have probably come across the UK’s vibrant popular culture through its music, television and films. Now you can find out what it’s like to be a real part of it. This is the home of David Beckham and Kate Winslet.

UK people like to get together and enjoy themselves. Theatres, concerts and art galleries can be found in all large towns and cities; big sports events take place every weekend; pubs and restaurants are everywhere.

When you come to the UK, you get 3 countries and a province in one: England, Scotland, Wales and the province of Northern Ireland. Each has its own distinctive history, landscape and modern culture. And, because they are all within easy reach of one another, they are easy to explore. The national air, rail, coach and bus networks will get you almost anywhere in the UK, so you will not need a car, as you might in some countries. Discounts or special rates are generally available for students on most forms of transport.

The United Kingdom is a diverse and multi-ethnic society, where students of all backgrounds are welcome and their involvement in local communities is valued.

The UK is made up of 3 different countries and a province: England, Scotland, Wales and the province of Northern Ireland. These countries all have very different characters and identities.

All this diversity means that, when you come to the UK, you will find it easy to settle in. You will also develop good understanding of different cultures by meeting others from an enormous variety of religious and national backgrounds.

Meals and diet in the UK tend to vary to reflect the changing seasons of the year. For example, in the winter, stews, casseroles and roasts tend to be popular, while, in the summer, salads and lighter meals are eaten regularly. Supermarket chains import many foods, so they are able to stock vegetables, salads and fruits throughout the year.

Security at international airports is now very tight and there will be a number of items that you will not be permitted to carry in your hand luggage such as scissors and knives. Your airline will be able to provide a list of prohibited items.

Flag of UK

Banking and Finance

Britain is one of the world’s leading financial centers. Banking, Finance, Insurance, and other business services accounted for about 12 percent of Britain’s output in 1996 and more than a million people were employed in this sector.

The Bank of England, chartered in 1694, was nationalized in 1946 and is the only bank that issues banknotes in England and Wales. Several banks in Scotland and Northern Ireland issue currencies in limited amounts. After the Labour government was elected in 1997 the Bank of England was given operational independence in monetary policy. This means it can set interest rates independent of the government in power, much as the Federal Reserve does in the United States. There are more than a dozen major commercial banks in Britain, including Lloyds TSB, Barclays, National Westminster, and HSBC. The postal system, savings banks, and cooperative and building societies also provide some banking services.

Historically, the financial services industry has been based in the City of London in an area called the Square Mile. The City is a small part of the Greater London metropolitan area that surrounds it. Financial services are still concentrated in the City, although several provincial cities have developed their own financial centers. The greatest concentration of foreign banks in the world is found in the City, and the area accounts for 20 percent of total international bank lending. It also has one of the world’s largest insurance markets and is the world’s main center for trading in stock of overseas companies. One of the world’s largest financial derivatives markets is in the City as well. Financial derivatives are contracts to buy or sell, at a future date, financial documents such as stocks and bonds.

The London Stock Exchange, one of the largest exchanges in the world, has always been a focus of international trade. In 1986 it was substantially deregulated, an event known as the Big Bang in financial circles. This led to the rapid expansion of products, markets, and numbers of employees, a movement that slowed in the early 1990s but has since rebounded.


The pound sterling (£1), consisting of 100 pence, is the basic unit of currency in Britain (£0.69 equal U.S.$1; 1996 average). Before Britain converted its currency to the decimal system between 1968 and 1971, the pound equaled 20 shillings and each shilling was made up of 12 pence. Bookkeeping had to be done using three columns and the decimal system could not be applied.

The currency in the United Kingdom may change in the next few years to the euro, the new unit of currency being established within the European Union. The British government elected not to participate in the first phase of the transition, in which 11 EU members started to use the euro for accounting purposes and electronic fund transfers beginning in January 1999. After 2002, all EU members who join the Economic and Monetary Union (EMU) will use the same currency and their national currencies will cease to be legal tender. For currency exchange rate visit

Test Requirements For UK

It is important to become proficient in English to make your stay in United Kingdom a good one. You will probably be required to take the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) before you will be admitted to a UK university. The school may also have additional tests for graduate students who are prospective teaching assistants.

This section provides information about IELTS, TOEFL and GMAT exams.

UK Visa

You will need to have a valid passport and a visa in order to enter United Kingdom. Since it can take several months to obtain a passport and all the documentation, start the process as soon as you can. Here you will find information regarding Visa requirements and procedure, Immigration procedure.

Student visas can be obtained from the offices of the British High Commission in Delhi and the British Deputy High Commissions in Mumbai, Chennai and Kolkata. Students need to prove that they have an CAS statement from the Institution (CAS – Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies), sufficient funds to cover the entire cost of studying and living in Britain and that they intend to return home on completion of their course.

Documents that are required for a student visa

Completed visa application forms (Online and Appendix 8) with two photographs.

Valid passport (in original)

Visa Fee (non- refundable)

CAS – Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies from a UK institution for a full time course

Proof of funding (Bank Education Loan, Bank Statement, Bank Fixed Deposits, Letter from Sponsor etc.)

Originals of education certificates and English language test (IELTS) score sheet (if applicable)


On 11 March 2016 changes to the Tier 4 provisions of the Immigration Rules are being laid in Parliament. These changes take effect from 6 April 2016, and will apply to applications for entry clearance or leave to enter or remain that are made on or after this date. This document provides a summary of these changes. The Immigration Rules can be found on GOV.UK.

Maintenance requirements for student union sabbatical officers and postgraduate doctor or dentist students

Students applying for leave to remain under Tier 4 (General) as a student union sabbatical officer or postgraduate doctor or dentist on a recognised Foundation Programme will have a reduced maintenance requirement applied. These students will be required to show funds for their living costs for each remaining month of their course, up to a maximum of two months.

Extension and switching provisions for independent school students

Tier 4 (General) students at independent schools will be permitted to apply from within the UK to extend their Tier 4 visa or switch into other points-based routes.

English language requirements for US study abroad students

Third country nationals applying under Tier 4 (General) to study a short-term study abroad programme in the UK – as part of their bachelor’s or master’s degree at an HEI in the US – will be exempt from the Tier 4 English language requirements.

Academic progression rule

Tier 4 (General) students who are extending their leave to complete a qualification after undertaking a period as a student union sabbatical officer will be exempt from demonstrating academic progression.

Tier 4 (General) students who wish to extend their leave at the same academic level must be studying at degree level or above and cannot study a course at a lower level than their previous course.

Changing courses with same Tier 4 sponsor

A Tier 4 (General) student may only change courses with the same sponsor, without first applying to UKVI for a new visa, if:

the sponsor is an HEI with Tier 4 Sponsor status;

the course is at degree level or above and not at a lower level than the previous course;

the new course can be completed within the period of leave they currently hold; and

if the applicant has previously been granted Tier 4 leave, the sponsor confirms that the course is related to the previous course, or the previous course and the new course in combination support the applicant’s genuine career aspirations.

Calculation of time limits in Tier 4

For the purposes of calculating how long a Tier 4 (General) student has spent studying, the period of leave granted, and the level of course for which the leave was granted, will be counted, rather than (if different) periods and courses actually studied.

Short-term study route

Applicants under the Short-term study route must genuinely be seeking entry to the UK as short-term students.

Engaging in business activity

Tier 4 students with work rights will be prevented from setting up businesses in the UK, including where they are not the controlling shareholder.

Tier 4 sponsors converting to state schools

Tier 4 students who are sponsored by an institution with a Tier 4 sponsor licence which becomes an academy or a school maintained by a local authority may continue to study there until they complete their current course of study and their current leave expires without breaching their visa conditions.

Other clarifications being made

The maximum limit of eight years’ study under Tier 4 applies to students who have completed a course leading to a postgraduate research qualification or research master’s degree, as well as PhDs.

Tier 4 PhD students with entry clearance, as well as those with leave to remain, are permitted to apply for the Doctorate Extension Scheme.

The Home Office uses UK agency NARIC to determine the level of international qualifications, not to assess UK qualifications.

The British Government determines the list of visa-national-countries. Your nearest British Council office or British Mission (British Embassy, Consulate or High Commission) will be able to tell you whether or not your country is on the list. The Foreign and Commonwealth Office UK Visas website features a visa enquiry form where you can check if you require a visa.

If you are a visa national, you must apply for entry clearance before travelling to the UK. There is a charge for the application. You must satisfy the ECO at a British Mission that you meet the Immigration Rules. The ECO will then issue you entry clearance (more commonly known as a visa) in the form of a sticker in your passport. The entry clearance should normally be valid for the whole length of your course. When you arrive in the UK, the Immigration Officer at the port of entry (e.g. Heathrow airport) will put a date stamp in your passport to show when you entered the UK. Your permission to be in the UK begins on that date and expires on the date indicated on the entry clearance.

You will usually be allowed to bring your spouse and any children under 18 years of age to the UK, if you are holding an offer for a Master’s Degree from a University and as long as you can show that you can financially support and accommodate them. You will also need to show the ECO a marriage certificate, and a birth certificate for each child. It is advisable for them to apply for entry clearance, even if they are not visa nationals. They will normally be given permission to stay in the UK for the same period as you. Your spouse will be allowed to work if your permission to be in the UK lasts for 12 months or more. Make sure your spouse has a copy of your passport with them if they apply after you – the Immigration Officer will need to see the page showing your name, your entry clearance sticker (if you have one) and how long your permission lasts. If your permission to be in the UK lasts for less than 12 months, your spouse will not be allowed to work.

Universities In UK

This section takes you through the profile of Universities in United Kingdom. It starts with tips on finding the course that’s right for you and ends with choosing the right university.

In the UK education system, it is important to make your choice of institution according to the course you wish to take and the institution’s reputation in that field. If you want to study food technology, for example, find out about the different courses offered and choose by academic criteria such as faculty qualifications, practical work experience opportunities, and so on.

British Degree Indian Equivalent Degree
British Bachelor (Ordinary) Degree A three-year Indian Graduation Degree like B.A. or B.Sc. and other such courses.
British Bachelor (Ordinary) Degree A four-year Indian graduation course like B.E. or B.Tech. Or other such courses.
A post graduate degree, from Indian university, like M.A., M.Sc. or other such courses.
British Master’s Degree A post graduate degree like M.Tech. or M.E. from I.I.T. or I.I.Sc. and other such colleges

Academic Year

The academic year in Britain starts in September or October and finishes in June or July of the following year. In schools and colleges of further education, entry is possible in September or January (depending on the course). Higher education institutions normally only have one entry point, in September. The applications to the universities are usually made three to four months prior to the date of commencement of the course.

It is illegal in the UK to offer degrees or related qualifications without proper authorisation. Authorisation may be granted under Royal Charter or by Act of Parliament or by a special order of the Department for Education and Skills. In order to award degrees, colleges and universities must demonstrate a commitment to quality assurance and show that they have adequate systems for safeguarding academic standards. The Quality Assurance Agency for Higher Education publishes a code of practice, information on benchmark standards, and qualification frameworks that give details of the quality and standards publicly funded institutions are expected to maintain. This is available on the QAA website

The higher education (HE) sector includes over 90 universities and over 150 colleges and institutions offering studies at undergraduate degree level and above. Several different quality checks are imposed on these institutions.

Institutions internal quality assurance processes

Universities and colleges in the UK are autonomous, self-governing institutions with full legal responsibility for the quality and standards of their programmes and awards. They have their own quality assurance mechanisms, which include external examiners.

The Institutional Quality Audit

This procedure produced audit reports which dealt with each institution’s overall systems for assuring and enhancing quality. Institutional Quality Audits were carried out by the QAA (Quality Assurance Agency for Higher Education) from 1991 until 2003. Reports are available on the QAA website

Subject review (Teaching Quality Assessment)

This measure ran from 1994 until 2001 and focused on the quality of teaching and learning in specific subjects. Full details of the system, including the results are available through the QAA website Subject review assessments used different grading systems at different times in England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland, so be sure you understand which scale is being used for each institution you look at. There are three kinds of system for which you’ll see rating scores.

Universities and colleges in the UK are increasingly international. When you study here, you are likely to find yourself meeting students from all over the world. More than 90 countries may be represented on campus and each student makes a unique contribution to the life of the institution, both academically and culturally.

Universities and most colleges will have refectories (dining halls) that serve a range of relatively inexpensive and nourishing dishes at lunchtime and in the evenings. These normally include at least one vegetarian dish and a choice of other European and international dishes. Students Unions often run their own coffee bars and restaurants as well.

Accounting & Finance

Advertising & Mass Media

Aeronautical Engineering


Automotive Engineering

Biomedical Sciences

Biotechnology / Biological Sciences

Chemical Engineering

Civil / Structural Engineering

Computer Science / Information Technology

Construction & Property Management

Education & Teaching

Electrical / Electronics Engineering

Fashion Design

Film / Television / Video

Food Sciences / Food Technology

Forensic Science

General Management / Business Administration

Graphic Design

Hotel / Hospitality Management

Human Resource Management

Interior Design

International Business



Manufacturing / Production Engineering


Master of Business Adminstration

Mechanical Engineering

Nutrition / Dietetics

Occupational Therapy

Oil & Gas / Offshore Engineering

Pharmacology / Pharmacy



Public Health / Health Administration

Travel / Tourism / Leisure Management

Education System In UK

This section gives you details about your Work Permits and employment Opportunity.

The basic steps for applying are:

Choosing your required programme

Identifying Universities

Health documents, if required

Taking various required tests like IELTS, TOEFL, GMAT, etc.

Arranging and preparing essays and recommendation letters

Completing and sending application forms along with required documents

Applying for VISA after obtaining unconditional offer from the universities

Incase of postgraduate programmes, applications can be made directly to the respective universities and colleges. There is no cut-off date to receive applications, but students are advised to apply in advance as some of the popular courses will get filled up fast.

Master’s Degree

Master’s Degree is conferred after one or two years study following the Bachelor’s Degree. Study is in a specialized field. In some cases, the degree is awarded solely after a written examination but candidates must usually submit a dissertation. At Oxford and Cambridge, the Master of Arts is conferred automatically after a certain period of time on all holders of Bachelor’s Degrees. In other fields, it is awarded under the same conditions as in other universities.

Master of Philosophy, Doctor of Philosophy

The third stage is that of pure research. At a university, it leads, after two years of additional study and the successful presentation of a thesis, to the Master of Philosophy (M.Phil) Degree. After usually three years’ further study beyond the Master’s Degree, the candidate may present a thesis for the Doctorate of Philosophy (D.Phil. or Ph.D.)

Higher Doctorate

A further stage leads to Higher Doctorates which may be awarded by a university in Law, Humanities, Science, Medical Sciences, Music and Theology after a candidate, usually a senior university teacher, has submitted a number of learned, usually published, works.

Students wishing to apply for an undergraduate programme should apply through the Universities and Colleges Admissions Service (UCAS). Its functions are to organize and regulate the process of entry to full-time and sandwich bachelor’s degree courses in all the UK universities (except the Open University) and most other colleges.

The UCAS application allows the students to indicate a maximum of 6 institutions of their choice. The deadline to receive applications at UCAS is 15th January for the following academic year. However, late applications received between 15th January and 30th June will also be considered. If Cambridge or Oxford University is included, the deadline will be 15th October of the previous year and they should apply simultaneously to these universities.

Bachelor’s Degree

This stage lasts for three or four years and leads to the award of a Bachelor’s Degree in Arts, Science or other fields (Technology, Law, Engineering, etc.). In some Scottish universities the first degree is a Master’s Degree. The Bachelor’s Degree is conferred as a Pass Degree or an Honours Degree where studies are more specialized. The Bachelor’s Honours Degree is classified as a First Class Honours, a Second Class Honours or a Third Class Honours.

Studying for your first degree can take three years for an honor degree. Some degree courses take four years to complete and some even longer than that. A course that includes study overseas (e.g. a language course) is likely to take more than three years. A course that includes a significant amount of work experience is likely to take more than three years.

The following are examples of Bachelor degrees

Bachelor of Arts (BA)

Bachelor of Education (BEd)

Bachelor of Engineering (BEng)

Bachelor of Law (LLB)

Bachelor of Medicine (MB)

Bachelor of Science (BSc)

The Degrees are classified in the following ways

First-class degree

Upper second-class degree

Lower second-class degree

Third-class degree

Pass class degree

Reasons to Study in UK

Requires only 15 years of education for direct entry into postgraduate programme.

International students studying at UK institutions are not required to obtain permission from the jobcentre to take spare time and vacation work.

One centralized application form for six undergraduate courses and generally no application fee for postgraduate courses.

In UK, most undergraduate degrees take only 3 years while postgraduate degrees take one year; you spend less time away from home and less money on course fees

Educational institutions are constantly monitored and reviewed to ensure that courses offered are of high quality.

Qualifications from the UK are some of the most recognized and respected worldwide.

There is a high success rate for international students in the UK education system.

Health surcharge mandatory for 1 year+ 4 months. ( 150GBP+75GBP = 225 GBP).For bachelor degree – 3 years – 3*150 = 450+75= 525GBP.

There are many routes into education in UK, so chances of accessing the British system are high.

UK is the gateway to Europe, rich in history and has welcomed international students for hundreds of years.

UK qualifications are recognized and respected globally. Your UK qualification will be a good foundation for building your future, boosting your career and prospects for a higher salary. UK universities, colleges and schools will provide a stimulating, creative and challenging environment in which to develop your potential.

Quality standards for UK institutions are among the best in the world. Universities, colleges and schools continually have to prove that their courses meet strict criteria. Many other countries are now trying to follow the example of the UK.

There are more than 3,000 educational institutions that welcome international students in the UK. You can choose from a variety of routes through the education and training system, combining different types of course according to your needs and abilities. Many courses can also be taken through distance learning in your home country.

The sheer variety of specialisms means you will be able to find a course that suits your real interests, your ambitions and passions. For example, in the UK, you could specialise in anything from Computer Games programming, Satellite Positioning Technology or Sound Engineering to Multi – Media Design, Cross-Cultural Psychology, Hotel Management or Dance.

The UK has been welcoming international students for generations. We have many years of experience of looking after your needs, and will give you special support from the moment you apply and throughout your time in the UK.

Your local British Council office will give you advice and information on choosing courses and help you with your application. The Universities and Colleges Admissions Service (UCAS) makes applying to a number of institutions at the same time easy. You can also apply via the Internet if you prefer.

Many institutions arrange for you to be collected from the airport and offer guaranteed accommodation for your first year. They will provide a dedicated international office, international student societies, planned social activities, academic support, counsellors and advisers. The system works: the UK has one of the lowest ‘drop-out’ rates in the world.

The UK has two distinct education systems: one for England, Wales and Northern Ireland, and one for Scotland. Each is compatible with the other.

Quality Standards

Whatever level and type of British course you choose, you can expect to benefit from the highest quality of teaching and research, backed up by rigorous quality assessment. The UK leads the world in developing quality standards and performance measures. In fact, the UK is so committed to quality that the results of several of these assessments are publicly available for you to consult.

Quality Qualifications

This extensive, sophisticated system of quality assurance means that, when you choose to study in the UK, you can be confident that the course and institution you have chosen are closely monitored to ensure high standards. All nationally recognized qualifications offered in the UK are subject to strict quality standards. In further and higher education institutions these are overseen by government appointed agencies, which are responsible for ensuring the consistency and quality of courses on offer. English language and professional qualifications are subject to their own strict quality assurance measures.

The national quality assurance agencies are: the Qualifications Curriculum Authority (QCA), in England; the Qualifications, Curriculum and Assessment Authority for Wales (ACCAC); the Northern Ireland Council for the Curriculum, Examinations and Assessment (CCEA); and the Scottish Qualifications Authority (SQA). The Higher Education Funding Councils have a statutory duty to assess the quality of the education they fund, and they do so via the Quality Assurance Agency for Higher Education (QAA), a UK-wide body set up by the higher education sector itself. The Higher Education Funding Councils also monitor the quality of research through the Research Assessment Exercise (RAE).

Qualifications Offered Entrance Requirements Teaching Methods Assessment Methods Duration
British or recognised overseas undergraduate degree in a relevant subject plus English language proficiency (e.g. IELTS band six or above). Programmes are intensive and you should be prepared for a heavy workload. Postgraduate students attend classes and lectures, do a great deal of independent reading and/or experimental work between classes, complete regular written assignments, and write a substantial dissertation. Taught elements are assessed by continuous assessment and/or final exams. The dissertation forms a major part of the total assessment. One Year to Two Years (With Internship)

Research Masters

Qualifications Offered Entrance Requirements Teaching Methods Assessment Methods Duration
MA/M.Sc. by research
British or recognised overseas undergraduate degree in a relevant subject, at 2.1 Honours or above plus English language proficiency (e.g. IELTS band six or above). Students are expected to work on their own under the guidance of a supervisor..The first two-thirds of the programme are spent researching the topic and planning the dissertation. The remaining time is spent writing the dissertation, which describes in detail the research. Dissertation – typically 30,000 to 40,000 words. One Year to Three Years

Research Doctorates

Qualifications Offered Entrance Requirements Teaching Methods Assessment Methods Duration
Taught or research Masters degree in a relevant subject plus English Language proficiency (e.g. IELTS band 6 or above). An outstanding academic record is expected. Students will be expected to work on their own to a large extent, under the guidance of a supervisor. The research is usually written during the third year. The first two years are spent researching the topic and planning the dissertation. Dissertation – typically of 70,000-1,00,000 words. Three Years minimum


Business studies are increasingly popular with students from all countries and the MBA (Master of Business Administration) is the most popular business qualification. MBA programmes are designed to develop management skills, knowledge, the ability to analyze complex problems and the ability to make decisions. There are many MBA programmes to choose from in the UK, from those that teach principles of general management to highly specialised programmes tailored to careers like, banking and finance, construction, oil and gas, health care, hospitality, transport, and technology. Many have pipeline to relevant industries to ensure their direct relevance to the working world.

Many postgraduate courses – particularly MBA’s where people tend to need to continue working – are now offered through distance learning. This allows you to study from home with course materials provided by the institution. These can be paper-based, on CD-Rom or accessible on the Internet.

Qualifications Offered Entrance Requirements Teaching Methods Assessment Methods Duration
MBA (Master of Business Administration) Both general and specialised versions are available. British or recognised overseas undergraduate degree or a professional qualification plus a good GMAT score plus English language proficiency (e.g. IELTS band six or above). Projects, practical work and simulations or games are important elements. Lectures (sometimes involving guest speakers from industry) and seminars are also used. Continuous assessment plus dissertation and exams. About One Year

International Baccalaureate

The International Baccalaureate was created as an international qualification for students aged between 16 and 18 at schools around the world. It is accepted as an entry qualification for higher education by most countries, including the UK. Three subjects must be offered at A-level equivalent standard and three at AS-level equivalent during this two-year course. Students must also complete an extended essay on one subject and take part in a course on the theory of knowledge, as well as extra-curricular activities. Award of the diploma depends on the student gaining at least 24 points from these subjects.

Career-based Courses

These qualifications tend to be more work-related than academic and can put you on a fast-track route within your current career, into a new career or on to a degree course. Career-based courses in the UK often involve strong links between institutions and industry. This ascertains the continuing relevance of these qualifications to the world of work, which, in turn, improves the career prospects of the students who take them.

Courses at this level tend to be particularly flexible. Many do not have specific entry requirements, so, no matter what qualifications you currently have, you can find a course that will let you get a foot on the educational ladder. And, as you will see from the table below, some of these courses meet the entrance requirements for degree courses, allowing you to supplement your newly found practical skills with academic knowledge.

These courses involve classroom instruction, essays, projects and practical work. Class sizes tend to be relatively small, so students benefit from personal contact with tutors. There is continuous assessment of coursework plus examinations. Some career-based/professional programmes are offered only as degree courses – e.g. Medicine, Dentistry, Law – so it is best to also check the degree section of the chapter as well.


The most popular undergraduate qualifications are the Bachelor’s degrees (also called undergraduate or first degrees), which are now required for entry into a wide range of careers in the UK and other countries. British degree programmes incorporate the most up-to-date subject developments, and are underpinned by world-class research and links with business and industry. At Oxford, Cambridge and the ancient Scottish Universities, the first degree in Arts is a Master of Arts (MA).

Many universities and colleges now co-operate to deliver degree courses, and this has further increased the number and variety of courses and study environments. The new two-year foundation degrees, introduced in England in September 2001, will widen the range of options still further, offering an innovative blend of academic and career based study. Many degree courses are now offered via distance learning. This allows you to study from home with course materials provided by the institution. These can be paper-based, on CD-Rom or provided through the Internet. Institutions provide special systems of support to help you through the course.

If you don’t currently meet the standard entrance requirements for a degree programme, you can begin with an access or foundation course instead and then move smoothly on into degree work – studying English language courses alongside it if you need to.


There are two main types of taught postgraduate course: Master’s programmes, which normally are classes and seminars plus a dissertation; and diploma or certificate courses, which consist of classes and seminars, but with no dissertation. Some diploma courses enable you to transfer to a Master’s when you have successfully completed them.

A research degree is the ultimate opportunity if you want to pursue your own specialist interests. You will be expected to initiate and develop your topic under the supervision of one or possibly two academics. To be successful, you will need to demonstrate intellectual independence

Taught Masters

Why study GCSE’s, A-levels and other equivalents in the UK?

Students come from all over the world to study for the UK’s universally known and respected GCSE’s, A-levels, Standard Grades, Highers and other equivalent qualifications such as the International Baccalaureate. These are academic and career-based courses designed to stretch your ability and imagination. And you’ll be in the right place to study for them. Many independent boarding schools and colleges are at the top of the UK league tables for GCSE, Scottish Higher and A-level results.

For many international students, GCSE’s and A-levels are important steps on the road to degree or career-based courses. GCSE’s and Scottish National Qualifications offer you the opportunity to explore a range of subjects from the sciences, humanities and arts, and discover your real strengths and interests. Scottish Highers, A-levels and AS-levels allow you to cover a smaller range in more depth, and to a level that prepares you for higher study. These courses will encourage independent thinking and personal study skills, as well as teamworking on projects. Or maybe you’re planning to skip further studies and go straight into a career when you finish school – GCSE’s and A-levels are held in high esteem across the globe and will help you stand out from the rest. Employers will be impressed by the skills you’ve gained through thinking for yourself and through research, teamwork and analysis.

Students are also encouraged to combine their academic work with a lively social life and, wherever you go, there will be a wide choice of extra-curricular activities to get involved in. You could find yourself directing a student play, scoring your school football team’s winning goal, developing your singing talents or impressing your tutors with your debating skills. Coming to the UK is a great chance to expand your horizons, meet people from all over the world, get your first real taste of independence and learn more than you thought possible, not just academically but also about yourself and your own strengths. Higher and further education institutions will not only take into account academic results when selecting the best candidates for courses, they will also be looking at your all-round personal development. Your experience in the UK on a GCSE, A-level or equivalent course will build your character and confidence, broaden your outlook and help you become a strong candidate for whichever course or career you choose. Students come away with excellent qualifications and, most important of all, with the confidence, enthusiasm and energy to realise their dreams as well.

What can I study? – GCSE’s

Students usually study from eight to 12 GCSE subjects over two years (in Scotland, you might study for a Scottish Certificate of Education Standard Grade, a similar qualification to the GCSE). Most students study a core of statutory subjects and choose additional subjects from a list.

Core subjects include English, mathematics, design and technology, a modern language, a science, information and communications technology (ICT), physical education and (from August 2002) citizenship. Optional subjects include art and design, business studies, drama, economics, engineering, health and social care, leisure and tourism, music, physics, and religious education. Students may take GCSE’s in core and optional subjects.

Other subjects are also available at individual schools and colleges, depending on the expertise and qualifications of the teachers. For mature students, GCSE pathway courses are available at some colleges. Students complete a number of GCSE’s in one year, which could lead on to an access course, a career-based course, AS-levels, A-levels or a career.

On any GCSE course, you receive formal tuition in the classroom and laboratory but are also encouraged to work independently and undertake research for projects, often outside school hours. Educational visits, either on your own or as part of a small group, are often part of the timetable. Some subjects take account of the work you do throughout the year, while others are assessed entirely by examination. Examinations are independently marked and graded. GCSE grades range from A* (the highest) to G.

New GCSE’s in vocational subjects (formerly Part One GNVQ) are a career-based version of the GCSE. Eight subjects are available: art and design, business, engineering, health and social care, information and communications technology (ICT), leisure and tourism, manufacturing, and science. One vocational GCSE is equivalent to two conventional GCSE’s. As with other GCSE’s, grades range from A* (the highest) to G.

AS-levels and A-levels

They are advised to choose subjects that will help their future career and/or university application. The vast choice of subjects on offer includes all the GCSE subjects listed above plus geology, sports studies, electronics, photography, theatre studies, media studies and many others. In Scotland, students take National Qualifications at Higher level and, in some cases, at Advanced Higher level (see below). Boarding schools in Scotland offer Scottish Highers, Scottish Advanced Highers and A-levels.

For some subjects, such as mathematics, you will need to have taken a GCSE in the same subject. Others require no specific prior knowledge of the subject.

AS-levels and A-levels take two years altogether. In the first year, you study four or five subjects at AS-level. An AS-level counts as the first half of an A-level in the same subject. In the second year, you choose two to four of those subjects (usually three) to study at A-level. Some subjects take account of the work you do throughout the year, while others are assessed entirely by examination. Examinations are independently marked and graded. A-level grades range from A (the highest) to E.

On both A-level and AS-level courses, you receive classroom and laboratory tuition but you are also encouraged to work independently and undertake research for topical projects, frequently outside school hours.

Vocational A-levels, also called Advanced Vocational Certificate of Education (AVCE), can be taken alongside or instead of conventional A-levels.They are available in 12-, six- and three-unit awards.The 12- unit awards, also called ‘double awards’, are equivalent to two A-levels; the six-unit awards are equivalent to one A-level; the three unit awards are equivalent to one AS-level. Vocational A-levels are offered in 14 subjects: art and design, business, engineering, health and social care, information and communication technology (ICT), leisure and tourism, manufacturing, construction and the built environment, hospitality and catering, land and environment, media communication and production, performing arts, retail and distributive services and science.

The UK offers exceptional scope for acquiring academic and vocational qualifications to enable you to pursue a wide range of careers.

UK schools, colleges and universities pride themselves on helping international students find the most appropriate course.

British Council offices globally offer assistance to students seeking to study in the UK. Some offices advise students, help them fill in application forms and send the forms off for them. Some can help you apply over the internet. All offices have a wide range of information materials and resources, as well as university and college prospectus, which you can consult for reference. A good prospectus provides answers to all the questions you want to ask about an institution or a course.

The best time to begin preparing your application for degree courses is June to August a year before the September/October when you would like to start.

Career-based Courses

For all other career-based programmes, you should apply directly to the institution which offers the course. Contact the institution and ask for a prospectus and an application form. Alternatively, all British Council offices have standard application forms that you can use, or contact GEEBEE Education

There is no standard closing date for applications to career-based courses but you will need to leave yourself enough time to apply for a visa, make travel arrangements and arrange accommodation.

In making a decision, the college will consider your background, interests and abilities and will treat your application on its individual merits. Once you have accepted a place, the college will send you a letter confirming this.

Degree Courses

To apply for full-time undergraduate degree courses, you simply make a single approach through the centralised application process. This service is provided by UCAS (Universities and Colleges Admissions Service). All UK universities and most colleges of higher education are members of UCAS. Your route through the UCAS application process is described in this section.

Applications for part-time degree study are not made through UCAS and you should contact directly the institution in which you are interested. Increasingly, universities and colleges are making their application forms for part-time study available on their website, either to complete online or to download.

The UCAS application process – GEEBEE can help you with this.

Before applying, check the minimum entry qualifications in the prospectus of your chosen university or college. Be aware, though, that the institution may ask for more than these requirements. Any entry requirement will be shown clearly if the institution offers you a place.

You may apply to up to six institutions on a single UCAS application form. The current fee for applying through this system is £5 for a single choice and £15 for up to Six choices. You can submit only one UCAS application form per year.

When UCAS receives your application form, it will send a copy to each of your chosen institutions. Each institution will consider your application and send details of its decision to UCAS. UCAS will forward the decision to you.

For each application, three outcomes are possible. You may be sent an unconditional offer which means you can begin the course at the start of the next academic year. Alternatively, you may be sent a conditional offer which means you have to achieve specific entry requirements in your qualifying examinations.

Finally, the institution may reject your application. If all your chosen institutions reject your application, you will still be able to apply to another UK institution through Clearing.

Do not respond to any offers you receive until UCAS asks you to reply. Then, you can accept no more than two offers. Your first choice will be your firm acceptance and your second choice will be your ‘insurance’ acceptance. But note that if your first choice is to accept an unconditional offer, you will not be able to make a second, back-up choice. Once you accept an unconditional offer, you are committed to that institution.

Universities will confirm or withdraw their conditional offers after they have been notified of the results of your qualifying examinations. Therefore, it is important that you send your examination results to the university or college from which you are holding offers as soon as possible. If you have not matched the entry requirements for either your firm or your conditional offers, you will be able to enter the Clearing procedure.


Clearing is a process that matches students who have not been able to find a place with courses that still have vacancies. It occurs in August and September. You will be eligible for Clearing if

You have applied to an institution in the UCAS system but do not have any offers

None of your conditional offers have been confirmed

Your application through UCAS was made after 30th June (or 12th June for art and design courses)

Leaving home to study in a different country is always a big step. Fortunately, the UK has a long tradition of welcoming international students to its shores.

British schools, colleges and universities have developed world-class student services. These, along with the welfare services provided in the wider community, ensure quality support for international students.

Many schools, colleges and universities send a representative to meet new students at the nearest railway station and provide transport to the campus. Institutions also stage orientation programmes just before term starts to help new international students get familiar.

Once you have settled in, you will find that the support continues. Most schools, colleges and universities have special international student advisers to help with academic and personal concerns. International offices are open throughout the year and you can seek advice and information on any subject at all. These staff are there to make you feel welcome and to help you adjust to living in the UK.

At universities and many colleges, there are student counsellors available to advise on personal, financial, practical and health matters. Specialist careers advisers will discuss your career options with you and help you formulate practical plans. Most boarding schools, colleges and universities have professional health care staff on site to advise on your personal health matters.

English language courses

Most English language schools provide a student welfare service to help with accommodation, visas, legal requirements and so on, even before students reach the UK. On arrival, schools provide a meet and greet service for new students, as well as transportation to the school. Orientation courses will help you settle in.

Support continues day-to-day, as well. Most schools have an emergency telephone number that you can ring 24 hours a day. Social programmes are organised outside regular classroom hours and many schools also have student clubs and travel offices, which arrange tours in the UK. .

Degree courses

Many UK universities and colleges have specialist international advisers whose job is to provide support for international students. The international office is the first point of contact for many international students. You can approach international officers for independent advice and information on almost anything, from accommodation to how to extend your permission to stay in the UK.

Many institutions also arrange orientation programmes for new international students at the beginning of the academic session. The duration and content of these programmes vary considerably; some last only 1 or 2 days and others a whole week. Typical elements include a tour of the campus, an overview of the facilities and how to use them, explanations of the institution’s rules, help with registering for your course, an outline of teaching methods, discussion of important aspects of life in the UK and social events where you can meet staff and other students.

Institutions also organise a fresher week or fresher fair for all new students. This is a further opportunity to make friends, as well as to join clubs and societies run by other students.

Many international students find it useful to join an international student society within their institution. There are two types: societies for all international students, irrespective of nationality, and societies for students from specific countries or regions. Both types of organisation provide useful guidance about the UK from a student’s point of view and are a good way of meeting and socialising with other students. The Students Union or international students association may also have information about national or cultural groups outside the institution in the town or city another possible source of support. .

UK approaches to teaching have evolved over many hundreds of years and aim to encourage independent, thoughtful and confident students. Rigorous quality assurance and academic audit procedures ensure that the educational opportunities available in the UK meet the best standards.

Most students benefit from the continuing support of a tutor, from small classes or tutorial and seminar groups and from a range of teaching methods that may include discussions, games, problem- solving, projects, practical work, peer tutoring, computer-assisted learning and simulations. These methods are effective: pass rates are high and drop-out rates are among the lowest in the world. By encouraging an independent approach, education in the UK helps you to develop intellectual and problem-solving skills for the international market.

English language courses

The teaching style is mainly practical and you will be encouraged to communicate from the moment you enter the classroom. Students on these courses are immersed in the language, rather than just studying it.

The wide range of creative teaching methods includes games, role- playing exercises, problem-solving and group discussions. You will also be able to make use of technology and the language labs to study without supervision.

Degree courses

During your degree programme, some of your specific courses will be compulsory but others will be optional, allowing you to tailor the programme to your specific needs.

The core topics of your course will be outlined to you through lectures. More in-depth analysis will take place in smaller tutorial and seminar groups where you will prepare topics in advance and discuss them with the other students and the tutor. You will need to read extensively about the subject and form your own ideas and opinions.

Postgraduate Programmes

All postgraduate programmes require you to do a great deal of work on your own initiative. On taught courses, postgraduate tutors and lecturers will provide the framework of the course and, within this, you will be able to pursue your own interests.

On research programmes, the principal teaching method is original research, which you complete under academic supervision. Writing a thesis about your research forms a main part of the programme.


Master of Business Administration (MBA) courses are a particularly intensive and challenging form of taught postgraduate course. You’ll be expected to work through a very large amount of material, complete projects and assignments and give regular presentations. Teaching methods characteristic of MBAs include case studies, simulations and business games.

Contact your local British Council office at

Visit Education UK Scotland at for everything you need to know about studying in Scotland.

Or try one of the following for a direct link to the university, college or school of your choice

A full list of links to UK university or College is available.

For accredited independent further and higher education institutions, see the British Accreditation Council web site

For English language courses, try the English in Britain site at

Hot courses are the team who designed and built the Education UK site. They also operate the UK’s largest database of courses, which they collect for the national learn direct database. Visit them at to search their course database by region or cities of the UK. Alternatively you may contact them about any aspect of this or other sites they operate by sending a feedback email to

The DfES (formerly DfEE) International Student web page contains up to date information and advice on Chevening Scholarships, working in the UK and visa and entry requirements to the UK.

Links to over 300 specially selected Education UK related sites are maintained by the British Council at

UK Student Life is a website with practical information for international students about all aspects of living in the UK as a student. It also contains ideas about ways of studying British English either in the UK or abroad. You can find it at

City & Guilds is the leading provider of vocational qualifications in the United Kingdom and can be found at

A guide that provides information about studying English and living in the UK at

Bank Loans are easily available for higher studies anywhere in the world. Loans should be preferably taken from a Nationalised Bank. The term & condition for educational loans may vary from Bank to Bank.


All Professional / Technical job oriented courses offered by reputed Universities.

Loan Amount

Maximum Rs.20 Lakhs.


For Loans up to Rs.4 Lakhs, no collateral security is required.

For Loans above Rs.4 Lakhs & Upto Rs. 7.50 Lakhs Collateral Security in the form of satisfactory Third Party Guarantee.

For Loans above Rs.7.50 Lakhs Collateral Security is required.


Course period + one year or 6 months after getting a job, whichever is earlier. The loan is to be repaid in 5-7 years after commencement of repayment.

Rate of Interest

Upto Rs. 4 Lakhs-PLR

Above Rs. 4 Lakhs-PLR + 1%*

Documents Required

Loan application

Admission Letter from College/University

Academic documents of the student

Photograph, Residence proof of borrower and guarantor

Covering letter stating sources of owned funds

Fee receipts or proof of payments made

Title Deeds of the ownership property to be mortgaged as security

Copy of passport & Visa, if student is going abroad for higher education and related documents

Income proof of the applicant in the form of last 3 months salary slip/Certificate or copy of the last 3 years IT returns filed with computation details of personal assets & liabilities

Two guarantors with their latest salary Slip / certificate in case guarantor belongs to service class or latest income tax returns filed with the computation of income in case the guarantor is a businessman, professional or self-employed

Simple interest will be calculated during Repayment Holiday / Moratorium period.

Working in United Kingdom

This section gives you details about your Work Permits and Student Work Regulations in UK.

Q.1. Can I work whilst I am studying in the UK?

Ans: Most students on courses of more than 6 months will be given a passport stamp that allows them to work part-time during the term (up to 20 hours a week) and any number of hours during the vacations. For further information from UKCOSA about this topic, download the Guidance Note, ‘Students and employment’.

Q.2. Can my husband/wife/son/daughter work whilst I study in the UK?

Ans: This will depend on the amount of time you are given to study in the UK. If you are given 12 months or more, then your husband / wife / son / daughter joining you in the UK should be given a passport stamp which allows him or her to work. For further information from UKCOSA about this topic, download the Guidance Note, ‘Dependants of international students’.

Q.3. Can I stay in the UK to work after I have finished studying?

Ans: Yes. The UK offers a minimum 2 years of post-study work permit option.

It may be possible for students to stay in the UK for practical training or work experience with ‘Graduate Route VISA’. With this VISA, students completing their higher education program in summer 2021 onwards will be eligible for 2 years of stay back. This is applicable to both bachelor’s and master’s, for all areas of study.

This new rule is flexible as it does not need any student to be employed continuously in the same job on this Graduate Route VISA. There is no barrier on the kind of job the students do or the minimum salaries they earn during this time. Hence, the student gets ample time to get into the desired job or change jobs as it won’t count against them during this time.

For PhD students, The Graduate Route offers upto 3 years of stay back after completing the doctoral degree.

The Rules state that applicants must be able to support themselves and any dependants without working. This means that while there is provision for students to take employment during vacations or spare time, no account may be taken of any prospective earnings from that employment in assessing the ability of a student to meet the maintenance requirement, except where the educational establishment at which the student has a place.

Is a publicly funded institution of further or higher education which is itself providing and guaranteeing the employment, and has provided details of how much the applicant will earn

Is able to guarantee that there are jobs available and how much if anything the applicant will earn.

20 hours/week – part time and during holidays 40hours/week.

Students studying at UK institutions may take part-time or vacation work without needing to obtain permission from the local job centre. Similarly, they are able to do work placements which are part of a course or to undertake internship placements without the need to obtain permission from Work Permits (UK) .

The conditions covering the hours and type of work they may do are:

The student should not work more than 20 hours per week during term time except where the placement meets the definition of a course or internship

The student should not engage in business, self-employment or the provision of services as a professional sports person or entertainer

The student should not pursue a career by filling a permanent, full-time vacancy.

Following the rules

As you can see, there are many employment opportunities for international students in the UK. But there are a few conditions you should keep in mind:

You cannot run your own business, be self-employed, provide services as a professional sports person or entertainer, or pursue a career by taking a permanent full-time position.

With the exception of work organised by your university or college, money that you hope to make while doing part-time or vacation work cannot form part of your visa application. You must show that you can meet the cost of studying and living in the UK without employment or financial assistance from the state.

Note: Employment regulations for international students can change at any time, so check the current situation on the Immigration and Nationality Directorate web site

You can find out what part-time jobs are available by consulting notice boards around your institution, looking in local newspapers and Job centres, and visiting your college or university placement office. Many institutions now have their own ‘job shop’, which displays part-time and holiday vacancies and sometimes issues job vacancy bulletins.

The careers service can also provide you with extensive information and advice about employment, training and further study and practical help with job-hunting and making applications.

Some changes have been introduced that have made it easier for students to stay on in the UK to work. Subject to meeting the relevant criteria, students who have successfully completed a recognised degree course may be able to switch to work permit employment in the UK after completing their studies. An employer can apply for a work permit for such a student without the student having to return home first. You can find more information about the current position if you click on work permits – on the Home Office’s website:

Special provisions have always applied to Doctors, Dentists and Nurses and these will continue.

On graduation, there may be opportunities to work with leading UK and international corporations in the UK, or to join national and international firms in Europe, the United States or, indeed, in any part of the world. At the end of your course, you may be able to stay and work in the UK through TWES. To be eligible for this scheme, you will have to do one of the following

Undertake training leading to a recognised professional or specialist qualification

Follow a graduate training programme leading to international employment

Join a work experience scheme where you gain up to 12 months work experience with a UK employer

Contact GeeBee Today