About Liverpool John Moores University (LJMU)
Liverpool John Moores University (LJMU) was founded in 1825 and today has over 24,000 students recruited from over 100 countries world-wide. Liverpool too is a world-class multi-cultural city, which welcomes and supports a diverse student community from all around the world. The city is integrally connected to and influenced by the University’s research, scholarship and civic initiatives and offers students a rich cultural and social experience.
Ranked in the top 400 universities world-wide, Liverpool John Moores University (LJMU) offers an exceptional student experience, founded on high quality teaching, ground-breaking research and extensive links with employers, entrepreneurs and business leaders.
Liverpool John Moores University (LJMU) is located in the heart of the city of Liverpool. One of the best connected cities in the UK, Liverpool’s excellent transport network provides easy access to all UK, European and International destinations. Liverpool is just two hours away from London by rail. The city’s Liverpool John Lennon Airport offers flights from various parts of Europe while Manchester Airport, around 45 minutes from Liverpool, operates flights from around the world. Liverpool is also at the hub of the UK motorway network – linking to the M6 via M62, M57, M58, M56 and M53 – one of the most comprehensive motorway networks in the country.
Living in Liverpool
- Liverpool was the European Capital of Culture in 2008 and has the fastest growing economy outside London.
- It is one of the most affordable student cities in the UK. It is also a safe, multi-racial and multi-cultural city supporting a diverse range of religions and communities.
- All new international students are guaranteed a place in high quality University-approved student accommodation, with 24-hour onsite security, and located close to University buildings and libraries.
- The University has close connections with leading cultural organisations in the city: Tate Liverpool, the Liverpool Philharmonic and its world-famous Orchestra and Liverpool Biennial, one of Europe’s largest Arts Festivals.
- The city’s John Lennon Airport connects to more than 650 destinations worldwide. Liverpool is also only 2 hours away from London by train.
- In addition to academic fees, students must budget for living costs (accommodation, food, clothing, books, travel, etc). The UK Border Agency states that students need to require a minimum of £800 per month to cover their living expenses.
- Living costs are 40% lower in Liverpool than in London, and the city has a wide range of relatively inexpensive accommodation, food, public transport and entertainment.
Facilities and Resources at Liverpool John Moores University (LJMU)
- Liverpool John Moores University (LJMU) has invested over £160 million over the last 10 years in new capital projects and modernizing existing buildings and facilities.
- Each Campus has its own Library and collections (both print and electronic) specific to the academic needs of the Faculties and students it supports.
- The two City-centre based Libraries are open 24/7 during semesters.
- Facilities are designed to replicate ‘world of work’ Environments and include Science, Technology and Engineering Laboratories, Broadcast quality TV and Radio Studios, a Forensic Scene-of-Crime Lab, Ship Simulators, Theatre and Rehearsal facilities, a Mock Courtroom, Clinical Practice Suites, Art Galleries and much more.
- All students have free access to sports facilities across Liverpool, including top-of-the-range Gym equipment and fitness suites, Tennis, Squash and Badminton Courts, an Olympic-sized Swimming Pool, and a Golf Course.
Teaching Excellence at LJMU
- All undergraduate and postgraduate taught programmes are delivered by academics involved in innovative research and consultancy.
- This combination of academic expertise and ‘real world’ experience helps ensure that all degrees are kept up-to-date and secure accreditation by key professional bodies.
- The University has been awarded 6 National Teaching Fellowships from the Higher Education Academy in recognition of its outstanding teaching and learner support.
International Foundation Year courses at LJMU
- International students have the option of completing degree preparation programmes at the University’s International Study Centre.
- These courses are managed and taught by Study Group, a world leader in education and training for international students, and offer direct progression onto a range of undergraduate degrees.
Graduate Prospects at Liverpool John Moores University (LJMU)
Research and Scholarship at LJMU
- The range of research opportunities in the University is considerable. From developing cutting edge new technology to detect brain tumours to ground-breaking studies on the impact of the recession in UK cities, the University’s researchers are helping to inform public policy, shape new laws, transform lives and improve the environment.
- The research environment is rated as world-leading in the majority of subjects and the University is ranked in the top 5 new UK universities for research in Architecture and Built Environment, Electrical and Electronic Engineering, General Engineering, Physics and Sports-Related Studies.
- The University was awarded the highest Research Excellence Framework (REF) rating for its Physics submission in 2011.
- LJMU is also ranked in the top 25 English Universities for PhD completion rates.
Student Support at LJMU
- All students are assigned a Personal Tutor at the start of their degree.
- The University’s dedicated International Student Advisors are based in the Student Advice and Wellbeing Team.
- Free English Language Support and Study Skills workshops are available throughout your studies.
- Free and confidential counselling service for all students.
English Language Requirements
- A very good level of English language competence is required to follow lectures, carry out background reading and research, write essays and dissertations at the University.
- Applicants must hold an internationally recognised English language qualification (such as IELTS, TOEFL, Pearson, etc) certified in the last two years.
- Pre-sessional English courses are available for students who need to improve their standard of English in order to meet their entry requirements.
- The minimum scores required by the University are listed below, though specific course requirements may differ.
- International Foundation Year: 4.5 IELTS or equivalent
- Undergraduate: 6.0 IELTS or equivalent
- Postgraduate: 6-6.5 IELTS or equivalent
Making Application at Liverpool John Moores University (LJMU)
Students are advised to submit their application as early as possible in the academic year before they want to start studying at LJMU. The application process differs depending on whether to apply for an undergraduate or postgraduate course. Please make sure to follow the correct procedure for the chosen course:
- Undergraduate [BA (Hons), BSc (Hons), MEng, BEng, LLB]: Applications to study at LJMU are submitted via the Universities and Colleges Admissions Service (UCAS). For further details go to: www.ucas.com
- Pre-sessional English: Please email: email@example.com for more details.
- International Foundation Year courses: Please go to www.studygroup.com/isc/ljmu for information on how to apply.
- Postgraduate taught and research degrees [Masters, MRes and PhD]: Students should apply directly to LJMU using online application form. Please go to www.ljmu.ac.uk/pgapplication for more details.
Please Download : LJMU At a Glance Guide